Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Homemade Bread

In my household, when it comes to cooking, I do most of it. When it comes to baking homemade bread, that's my husbands department! A friend of ours (also male) was taught to make bread from his father-in-law, who then showed my husband how to make it. Hubby enjoys doing it, and lets face it, I enjoy not having another thing on my list that I have to get done! Not only that, I tried helping him make it once and my arms were NOT strong enough to knead all that dough!

This homemade bread is SOOOO much healthier then store bought. There is no added sugar in it! It is also very yummy!



This is a 12 or 9 grain bread depending what blend you buy.

3/4 cup warm water ( about 110 degrees)
1 tsp honey
2 Tbsp yeast
(Add yeast when water is warm and let stand 1 minutes)

4 cups hot water
1/4 cup honey
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2Tbsp lemon juice
2 tsp salt
2 cups 12 or 9 grain
1 cup sunflower seeds (optional)
5 cups whole wheat flour
5 cups white flour

Measure hot water into large mixing bowl, add honey, oil, lemon juice, and sald. Add yeast mixture and mix well.
Stif in 12 or 9 grain and  flour to make a soft workable dough. Turn dough out on lightly floured surface, knead 10-15 mins until dough is smooth and elastic. Form dough into a ball and place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top.
Cover and let rise for 50 mins or until doubled. Punch down and shape into 4 round balls. Cover and let rise 20 mins. Form into loaves and place in greased bread pans.
Brush tops with oil. Cover and let rise 50-60 mins. Bake in 365F oven for 30 minutes or until bread tests done.



 
 
This recipe makes 4 loaves of bread. We freeze the extras until we are ready to eat them.

 


No comments:

Post a Comment