Monday, August 4, 2014

Upholstery project!

My friend is expecting her 2nd baby, and wanted to redo the rocker chair she has in her nursery. It was an old brown rocker with orange cushions. I volunteered to help her out and primed the chair for her and took on the task of recovering the cushions. I have never tried upholstery before but was excited to give it a shot. She picked out a lovely light grey fabric with polka dots on it.
I didn't get a before picture but thought to snap a shot of the cushions after I already ripped out the stitches. 

 It gives you an idea of the color at least.

I washed the fabric, ironed out the wrinkles, used the old material as a pattern to trace on the new fabric and started cutting!

Once the fabric was pinned I started sewing and it took no time at all to finish!
My friend did not want to replace the buttons on the cushions and with this being my first upholstery job, I didn't think to compensate for the extra room this would make in the stretch of the fabric. So the top cushion ended up being a bit looser than I would have liked, but for my first attempt, I'm happy with how it turned out. Most importantly, my friend loves it, so I'm glad she is happy with the results!

 This is the finished chair. 

No comments:

Post a Comment