Wednesday, October 30, 2013

DIY Pumpkin Purée

Last time I made my own pumpkin purée, I peeled the pumpkin, chopped it up and boiled it, then purred it. It was so tedius that I never wanted to do it again! 

But I found a new method, that makes it so much easier! It's so much cheaper to make your own pumpkin purée then buying canned pumpkin. If you know a farmer that has a big garden and plants pumpkins, I can almost garantee you that you can ask for a free pumpkin. My step-mother plants pumpkins every year and so many grow that she has a hard time giving them all away!

To make your own pumpkin purée, follow these easy steps.

First, wash your pumpkin to remove any dirt/mud.

Then cut the pumpkin in half.



Then remove the seeds and scrape out all the stringy bits with a metal spoon. Place pumpkin cut side down in a roasting pan. Fill pan with a couple cups of water. 



My pumpkin was so big I could not fit both halves in the same roasting pan.

Bake pumpkin in a 350 degree oven for 90 minutes until pumpkin is tender. 
Scrape out pumpkin flesh and purée in a food processor or blender.


Freeze purée in the amounts of your choosing. Keep in freezer for up to 12 months. Thaw and use in your favorite pumpkin recipes as needed!





No comments:

Post a Comment