Monday, October 7, 2013

Cheddar Ham Soup

In an attemp to save money, I bought a 2kg smoked ham and tried to make as many meals out of it as possible.
Here was one of them...

Cheddar Ham Soup

2 cups diced peeled potatoes
2 cups water
1/2 cup slices carrots
1/4 cup chopped onion
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
2 cups milk
1/4 to 1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
1-1/2 cups cubed fully cooked ham
1 cup frozen peas, thawed

In large saucepan, combine potatoes, water, carrots, and onion. Bring to boil. Reduce heat, cover and cook for 10-15 mins or until tender.
Meanwhile, in another saucepan, melt butter. Stir in flour until smooth. Slowly add milk, salt and pepper. Bring to boil, cook and stir for 2 mins or until thickened. Stir in cheese until melted. Stir into undrained potatoe mixture. Add ham and peas, heat through.

Really easy and quick to make. 

With that ham I was able to make a total of 6 suppers and enough leftovers from each meal for my husband to take to work for lunch the next day. I made 2 soups, each of which had enough leftovers for lunch for my daughter and myself as well as my husband! The other soup was the crockpot corn chowder I blogged about early.

One of the recipes I used was for ham and cheddar pockets and that gave me enough leftovers to freeze for 4 lunches for my husband. You can find that recipe here. I also added chopped green onions to this. Serve with salad or side of veggies!

  So in total, one 2kg ham made 6 suppers, and 13 lunches. For around $17 for the ham, I'd say that was pretty good bang for my buck!


No comments:

Post a Comment