Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Cauliflower Alfredo Sauce

I pinned this recipe a little while back on Pinterest, and finally tried it out. I have to say, I'm very happy with it!



My husband is extremely picky when it comes to vegetables. He is a meat and potatoes kind of guy! He really only likes onions and peppers. He will eat a garden salad, but only with lots of dressing on it. As for broccoli, cauliflower, corn, carrots, peas, beans and all that good stuff... Forget it!  Sometimes I can get away with mixing them in with other things, but if the pieces are big enough, he'll pick them out. So when I found this recipe for a cauliflower sauce that supposedly tasted very similar to real Alfredo sauce I thought I had to give it a try. Guess what?! Hubby ate it!!! 

The recipe calls for vegetable stock or water, and unfortunately I didn't have veggie stock so had to use just water. I did find that it resulted in a slightly bland sauce and that was my husbands only comment, but I am positive it would taste all the more better if the stock was used instead. The fact that my husbands only comment was that it was on the bland side, and not "Yuk, that tastes like cauliflower!" is a huge win in my books!! So needless to say, I will be making it again and I will be sure to have vegetable stock on hand. 

I made fettuccini noodles and cooked cubed chicken to eat with this sauce. After my 21 month old daughter ate her helping, I asked if she wanted more, she shook her head no but kept scraping her spoon on her plate and licking the sauce off that she collected. So I grabbed a small bowl and put some of the left over sauce in it, and she ate it by the spoonfuls! Double win! Extra vegetable helpings, I'll take it! She won't eat chunks of cooked cauliflower, not that she doesn't like the taste, but I think she just doesn't like the look so refuses to try it. Since I know she'll eat this sauce, I saved the leftovers and plan on mixing it in with macaroni and cheese to make it more healthy. 


I can't wait to try some more recipes out to use with this sauce! There are more meal ideas on this blog. Check it out!

No comments:

Post a Comment